# Version 9.9.0 "Pick Up" 2017-02-19
## New features and enhancements
* GUI: chapter editor: added a character set selection in the preferences for
text files. If a character set is selected there, it will be used instead of
asking the user when opening text chapter files. Implements #1874.
* GUI: multiplexer: added a column "character set" to the "tracks, chapters
and tags" list view showing the currently selected character set for that
track. Implements #1873.
* mkvmerge: added an --engage option "all_i_slices_are_key_frames" for
treating all I slices of an h.264/AVC stream as key frames in pathological
streams that lack real key frames. Implements #1876.
* GUI: running programs after jobs: added a new variable
<MTX_INSTALLATION_DIRECTORY> for the directory the MKVToolNix GUI executable
is located in.
* mkvmerge: DVB subtitle tracks whose CodecPrivate data is only four bytes
long will now be fixed up to the proper five bytes by adding the subtitling
* mkvmerge: MP4 reader: "ctts" version 1 atoms are now supported.
## Bug fixes
* mkvmerge: AC-3 handling: some source files provide timestamps for audio
tracks only once every n audio frames. In such situations mkvmerge was
buffering too much data resulting in a single gap in the timestamps of one
frame duration after frame number n - 1 (the second audio timestamp read
from the source file was used one output frame too early). Fixes #1864.
* mkvmerge: MP4 reader: mkvmerge was only reading a small part of MP4 DASH
files where the first "moov" "mdat" atoms occur before the first "moof"
atom. This is part of the fix for #1867.
* mkvmerge: MP4 reader: edit list ("edts" atoms) that are part of the "moof"
atoms used in MP4 DASH files weren't parsed. Instead the edit lists from the
main track headers inside the "moov" atom were used. This is part of the fix
* mkvmerge: MP4 reader: when an MP4 DASH file contained both normal chunk
offset table ("stco"/"co64" atoms) in their regular "moov" atoms, a
sample-to-chunk table ("stsc" atom) whose last entry had a "samples per
chunk" count greater than 1 and DASH "trun" atoms, then mkvmerge was
calculating wrong positions the frame content. This is part of the fix for
* mkvmerge: MP4 reader: mkvmerge couldn't deal with the key frame index table
having duplicate entries. The result was that only key frames up to and
including the first duplicate entry were marked as key frames in the output
file. All other frames weren't, even though some of them were referenced
from the key frame table after the first duplicate entry. This is part of
the fix for #1867.
* mkvmerge: MP4 reader: when an MP4 file contained more than one copy of the
"moov" atom (the track headers etc.), mkvmerge was parsing them all adding
tracks multiple times. Fix for #1877.
* mkvmerge: MP4 reader: fixed an integer overflow during the timestamp
calculation leading to files with wrong timestamps. Such files could not be
played back properly by most players. Fixes #1883.
* mkvmerge: MPEG TS reader: if the PMT lists a DVBSUB track, mkvmerge will now
recognize it without having to find a packet for it within the probed range.
* mkvmerge: splitting by parts (both the "timestamps" and the "frames"
variants): fixed the calculation of track statistics tags. When calculating
the duration the skipped portions weren't taken into account leading to a
too-high duration. As a consequence the BPS tag (bits per second) was wrong,
too. Fixes #1885.
* mkvmerge: reading files with DVB/HDMV TextSV subtitle tracks with invalid
CodecPrivate caused mkvmerge to abort with an error from boost::format about
the format string not having enough arguments. Fixes #1894.
* mkvmerge: fixed misdetection of certain AC-3 files as MP3 files which led to
an error message that "the demultiplexer could not be initialized".
* mkvmerge: fixed huge memory consumption when appending big Matroska files
with sparse tracks (e.g. forced subtitle tracks). The Matroska reader will
now queue at most 128 MB of data. Fixes #1893.
* mkvmerge: MP4 reader: the timestamps of all multiplexed tracks will now be
* mkvmerge: MP4 reader: the DTS-to-PTS offsets given by the "ctts" atoms are
now applied for all tracks containing a "ctts" atom, not just h.264 & h.265
## Build system changes
* Up to and including release 9.8.0 the man pages and their translations came
pre-built and bundled with the source code. Those pre-built files have now
been removed and must be built during the build process. Therefore the tool
"xsltproc" and the DocBook XSL stylesheets for man pages are now required
dependencies. Additionally the tool "po4a" must be installed for the
translated man pages to be built and installed, though this is optional.
In order to facilitate finding the new requirements new options have been
added to confiure: "--with-xsltproc=prog", "--with-docbook-xsl=dir",
"--with-po4a=prog" and "--with-po4a-translate=prog.
* pugixml detection will be attempted via "pkg-config" first. If that fails,
"configure" will fall back to the previous method of trying just to compile
and link a test program with the standard include and library locations.